Monday, November 18, 2013

Every Woman Has a Birth Story Part 4

OK, so it took me a minute but we are coming to a close to my birth stories but a beginning to a whole new chapter....

Let's RECAP!

My First birth in 2006 sadly ended with a Cesarean Operation, Yes I say Cesarean Operation because IT IS MAJOR ABDOMINAL SURGERY! Who enjoys Surgery?!?! Anywho, I was diagnosed with pre-elcampsia at 29wks, admitted to the hospital on meds and bed-rest, I guess until I delivered. It was never really made clear. But one day my baby's heartrate was said to be having trouble so I had a Csec at 33wks and wasn't encouraged to breastfeed.
Second birth in 2008 and armed with more knowledge of birth and MYSELF, I was going for a vaginal birth. I was not going to be duped into another Csec. I asked many questions and was assured in knowing I could deliver the way my body was made to AND I DID! A SUCCESSFUL VAGINAL BIRTH in hospital and breastfed right away for the next year and a half.
Third birth in 2010 was my 'Coming Into' Birth. I was 'Coming Into' a competent, wise woman that chose to birth the way her ancestors before her, AT HOME. Minus the transfer to hospital for postpartum hemorrhage, this birth was relaxed, restoring, and truly inspiring. I wouldn't change anything and would repeat anytime. I also breastfed right away for the next 2 years.

My Fourth birth, there are NO WORDS, but for you all I will do my best to tell the story :-)

When I first found out I was pregnant in August 2012, I thought, WHAT THE WORLD!!!NOT AGAIN!!! It was a good and not so good shock because I just stopped breastfeeding my 2 year old and was enjoying the FREEDOM :-) From the moment I found out, I knew I wanted to have an Unassisted Birth. An Unassisted Birth is birthing without a licensed provider and is the way births have happened for years until the onset of modern medicine. It can be with a Doula, but its just you, your mate, and family if you wish. I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want the judgments. I wanted this birth to be MINE. I have come a long way from the woman in 2006 who knew very little about her own body to a well-informed, student teacher in the art of the female's mind & body into motherhood. I wanted so much in the beginning, I became a bit obsessive and stressed about really going through with the pregnancy until I received some very helpful advice from another Mother that helped me bring my sanity back to focus.
7 months ;-)

I handled all of my own prenatal care. I made sure I ate well, kept active, and made time to be by myself. It wasn't easy also because we were transitioning from one home to another. Once we were settled in our own home again, I was able to really focus on the birth and in the event we needed to transfer to the hospital again.

To gain added peace of mind and more support, I decided to plan 'A Mother's Blessing' or some say Blessingway. It's different from a babyshower; the activities that take place within the event are more ritualistic and invoke bonding among the women in attendance. It is a time to celebrate the mother, sisterhood and birth itself. They can be planned in many ways. Having this event really helped to send the positive energy I needed to move forward in my decision to birth unassisted.
My Itinerary for 'A Mother's Blessing'

Bellycast my Husband and I made

My Birth Shrine

One thing that helped me when I was feeling down; I created a Birth Shrine before I became pregnant but after I knew I was pregnant it really came ALIVE. I would stare at my shrine in meditation, adding things to it that enhanced the GROWTH, LOVE, LIFE & SPIRIT I felt from it. Every woman should create a Birth Shrine whether she is pregnant or not. It is a place of all kinds of Birth, not just the physical manifestation of birthing a new being. And the best part about it is you can put whatever you want on it that is special to you.

My Mother's Blessing, My Birth Shrine, My Hunger for Knowledge of Self and of course My Need to Learn more about Birth is what guided and focused me on my path to having an Unassisted Birth and essentially to becoming a Traditional Midwife.

Back to the Pregnancy at Hand :-)

According to MY calculations I went past my Estimated Due Date by 6 days. 6 LONG DAYS LOL! I did get an ultrasound reading at 7 weeks at a free clinic and their Estimated Due Date was actually a week earlier. So by their calculation,knowing how the medical system works, I would have been over 1 week and 6 days and you know that would have been a recipe for Induction, also with my history of hemorrhage. We all know these babies come when they are good and ready to come ;-) and there is no need to rush them out!

On the day I went into labor, we went out to the park with family and friends and I walked and ran with the children, lol. I wanted things to start up! I had been feeling contractions but they weren't consistent. They would start and stop sending me through the motions... Later that evening things finally got rolling after 10pm. I didn't tell my husband yet, he had just went to sleep and I wanted to wait a while to make sure they didn't stop again. After a few hours, I felt they were getting more intense so I woke him up to let him know we have the GREEN LIGHT. I bounced and rocked on my birth ball for a while, got in the shower, back to the ball, got in the tub, back to the ball, threw up when I tried to lay down. ALLLLLL NIGHT it was pretty intense as time went by. I was in front of my Birth Shrine for the entire labor. I was checking the time every once and a while and next thing I know its 6 a.m. and I'm still in labor! I'm like WHAT IS THIS BABY WAITING ON!!! My last labor was only 5 hours!!! At this point I'm squatting, kneeling, standing, breakdancing, everything!!! I had my husband try to examine me and my mucus plug came out and he said it seemed like I was getting close to birthing.

Finally close to 11 a.m. my water broke by me pushing a bit. I had enough, s/he was coming out! We didn't know the sex at the time either :-) I was on all fours now. I pushed a few times and the head was right there, when I stopped it would get sucked back in. Pushed again and the head was out! My husband said s/he was looking right at him!!! The cord was around the neck so he lifted it from around the neck so I could push s/he out the rest of the way. I gave one big push and SHE was OUT!!! (11:10 a.m.) I sat down immediately so he could give her to me. I sat there just amazed that WE DID THIS!!! I began breastfeeding her and she latched right on :-) After about 10 minutes, I noticed a stream of blood come out of me. We knew what that meant. So I tried to push the placenta out but no placenta just more blood. So we decide to head to the hospital, thankfully its only 10 minutes away. We left our brand new baby girl at home with a Sister who was there with us to care for the children in case this would happen. We didn't take her with us because we felt she didn't need to go, there was nothing wrong with her. The hospital staff tried to send an ambulance for her but we refused. Once I was admitted, treated, and settled into a room my husband went home to get her to bring to the hospital so I could continue to breastfeed. We stayed overnight and went home the next morning.
For me this Birth was a Magical Moment in Reality. WE DID IT!!! IT WAS UNTOUCHED BY OUTSIDE INFLUENCES...

I encourage Women to Birth the Way You Want but with the Right Knowledge, Wisdom, and Overstanding of Birth and Knowing Your Strengths & Limitations so that your decisions are SOUND.
Right Knowledge of what birth really looks like and the mechanics of our bodies
Right Wisdom of asking the tough questions and applying what you learn
Right Overstanding of knowing when to seek help and having a confidence in Self to stand up for what you KNOW
Even though I had to go to the hospital at the end of both my homebirths, I would do it all over again. WE made ourselves AWARE of the safety & risks and we TOOK ACTION when it was needed.

If you or someone you know is bringing forth new life: BE POSITIVE, BE HELPFUL, BE ENCOURAGING
To All my Sisters: Learn Your Body & Self, inside out and outside in

If you want to know more about my 'Mother's Blessing', Birth Shrine, or have any questions send me an email at protectorofthewomb@gmail.com
Our Fam!

Check out my website Here

1 comment: